1 an indication of radiant light drawn around the head of a saint [syn: aura, aureole, nimbus, glory, gloriole]
2 a toroidal shape; "a ring of ships in the harbor"; "a halo of smoke" [syn: ring, annulus, anulus, doughnut, anchor ring]
3 a circle of light around the sun or moon [also: haloes (pl)]
EtymologyFrom etyl la halos from etyl grc ἅλως, (also | and |), itself of unknown origin, one theory being from etyl fa هاله. Used in English since 1563, sense of light around someone’s head since 1646.
- In the context of "astronomy": A circular band of coloured light, visible around the sun or moon etc., caused by reflection and refraction of light by ice crystals in the atmosphere.
- Anything resembling this band, such as an effect caused by imperfect developing of photographs.
- In the context of "religion": nimbus, a luminous disc, often of gold, around or over the heads of saints, etc., in religious paintings.
- The metaphorical aura of glory, veneration or sentiment which surrounds an idealized entity.
anything resembling the phenomenon
luminous disc around the heads of saints
- Bosnian: oreol, nimbus
- Czech: svatozář
- Dutch: aureool
- Finnish: sädekehä
- French: auréole
- German: Heiligenschein
- Greek: κύκλος φωτός
- Hindi: तेजोमंडल
- Hungarian: glória
- Icelandic: geislabaugur
- Italian: nimbo, aureola
- Japanese: 輪っか
- Marathi: तेजोवलय
- Portuguese: auréola
- Russian: нимб
- Scottish Gaelic: fàinne-solais
- Cyrillic: ореол, нимбус
- Roman: oreol, nimbus
- Cyrillic: ореол, нимбус
- Spanish: nimbo
- Swedish: gloria
metaphorical aura of glory, veneration or sentiment
- Dutch: aura
- To encircle with a halo.
encircle with a halo
- Dutch: van een aureool voorzien
- Turkish: hale
Halo may refer to:
- Halo (religious iconography), a ring of light that surrounds an object in religious iconography
- Halo (optical phenomenon), a ring of light that surrounds an object
- Halo (medicine), used to immobilize cervical neck (spinal) fractures
- Halo (comics), a DC Comics superhero
- Halo (horse), an American thoroughbred racehorse
- Halo (visualization technique), a computer interface technique that uses arcs to point users to off-screen locations
- Halo, West Virginia
- Halo (bar), a gay bar in Washington, D.C.
- HALO or High Altitude Low Opening, a form of parachute jump
- Galactic halo, a ring of gas and stars surrounding a galaxy, and in particular the Milky Way Galaxy
Video gamesHalo, a notable game series which has expanded into a franchise. The game series consists of:
- Halo: Combat Evolved, a first-person shooter for the Xbox console, Windows, and Mac OS X
- Halo 2, the sequel to the first game released on the Xbox and then later for Windows
- Halo 3, the last game in the series' main story arc released for the Xbox 360
- Halo Wars, a real time strategy game based within the same fictional universe for the Xbox 360
- Halo Chronicles, an episodic game based on the series' universe which is being developed by film director Peter Jackson.
- Halo effect, a cognitive bias whereby the perception of a particular trait is influenced by the perception of the former traits
- Galactic halo, a region of space surrounding spiral galaxies
- Nuclear halo, a shape exhibited by some exotic atomic nuclei
- Halo-, a chemical prefix indicating halogen
- Halo orbit, a class of orbit around a Lagrange Point.
- HALO Trust or Hazardous Areas Life-Support Organization, a charity for removing war debris
- Halo vehicle, an automobile marketing strategy
- Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, sometimes referred to by fans or media as The Halos
- HALO: Hidden Alias List Operation, a fictional witness protection program in Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle
- Halo, a type of windmill breakdance move
- HALO is the numbering schema for albums released by the band Nine Inch Nails.
halo in Danish: Halo (flertydig)
halo in German: Halo
halo in Modern Greek (1453-): Άλως
halo in Spanish: Halo
halo in French: Halo
halo in Dutch: Halo
halo in Japanese: HALO
halo in Portuguese: HALO
halo in Finnish: Halo
halo in Swedish: Halo
halo in Chinese: Halo
O, annular muscle, annulation, annulus, anthelion, antisun, areola, aura, aureola, aureole, blaze of glory, brilliance, brilliancy, chaplet, charisma, circle, circuit, circumference, circus, closed circle, corona, coronet, countersun, crown, cycle, diadem, disc, discus, disk, envelope, eternal return, fairy ring, garland, glamour, glory, illustriousness, lasso, logical circle, loop, looplet, lunar corona, lunar halo, luster, magic, magic circle, mock moon, mock sun, moon dog, mystique, nimbus, noose, numinousness, orbit, paraselene, parhelic circle, parhelion, radiance, radius, rainbow, resplendence, resplendency, ring, rondelle, round, roundel, saucer, solar corona, solar halo, sphincter, splendor, sun dog, vesica, vicious circle, wheel, wreath